“Words have no wings, but they can fly a thousand miles” ~ Korean Proverb
It should be no surprise to any of us: facts cannot easily be distinguished from fiction, after all, fiction is passed on at a greater rate than facts. Here are some recent Two Cents comments from the Rapid City Journal, and, my response:
FALSE: A quick look around the nation tells us naming an arena after a mayor is highly unusual. Don Barnett is a man who led the charge for the original Civic Center complex and helped Rapid City recover from the 1972 flood. He was deserving of naming the current arena after him. Naming the next arena will be a business arrangement, not a political one. Money talks, and we will be looking for advertising sponsorships.
Great idea. Wish we would have thought of that. A new manufacturing plant is being planned and construction will start this Spring. It will involve 10 acres of land, 100 jobs right away and 200 within a few years. We have a team of folks recruiting, incentivizing and helping to facilitate smart growth. The government cannot create jobs, but we can create an environment where jobs can be created. It’s not a matter of EITHER an arena or bringing in companies, we can have both. Also, don’t forget agriculture and tourism is who we are. These industries have helped Rapid City and South Dakota as a whole, become and stay successful.
No one EVER said the building was about to collapse into a heap. Yes, additions and improvements have been a part of the Civic Center complex.
Maintenance and upgrades are necessary in facilities such as this. These expansions were driven by demand; the renovations driven by age. You will note the Barnett Arena was never upgraded. It’s structure is the problem more than the aesthetics. It is an old building, it looks old, it feels old and the architecture is obsolete. The former Rapid City Auditorium located at 7th and Quincy Streets from 1928-1973 was demolished in its 45th year. The Barnett will be repurposed as a multi-purpose room to compliment the new arena and complex.
The City spends $25-$30 million per year on the things mentioned in this comment. In other words, the amount spent on roads and infrastructure every five years is $130 million. The amount being requested to build a new arena that will last another 40 years is $130 million. It’s not a matter of having either an arena or road and infrastructure repair, we can have both. It’s a balance.
The person writing this comment believes the Civic Center is a drain on resources. FALSE: The Civic Center funds 75% of its operating and capital expenses with revenue generated within the complex. The other 25% comes from the Gross Municipal Receipts tax, or the BBB (bed, booze and board) tax – a 1% tourism tax created for the operation of event centers and for promotion of our City. No general fund money is used to subsidize this operation. These false claims made by people who don’t care to ask the questions are destined to be the downfall of Rapid City. Ask the questions!
Not only is this person misinformed, but they believe “cooking the books” is going on. The entire Civic Center complex has been brought up to ADA standards. On-going maintenance and upgrading has and will continue to occur at the complex. “That magnificent building” will not be demolished. No one ever said the building would be demolished. The proposal is to add a new arena, next to the Barnett Arena, repurpose the Barnett Arena into a multi-purpose room to compliment the new arena and complex. The only thing being proposed is a new arena. Nothing will be demolished! Am I repeating myself? Yes, I am, and I am hoping the person who wrote this comment, and others like it will be open to hearing the truth.
Let’s face it, rumors and gossip travel faster than the truth. It always has and always will. My only hope is, for us to be open to hearing the truth as much as we are open to hearing rumors.
For those who have not seen a presentation (all of these two cents authors) here it is: www.barnettarena.com